Instagram has already upgraded their features and is now allowing you to sell directly to your fans using the app. This is good news if you’re an artist selling merch (especially if you already have a good IG following!).
For inspiration, here are some musicians and artists who are already selling their stuff on IG.
Pretty neat, right?
Sooo….if you’re inspired to follow their footsteps (trust me, you should), then let me show you…
Table of Contents
How to link your store front to your IG account
I have to warn you, this might feel a little complicated (and tedious) for those who’re just starting out, especially if you’re not really too familiar with Instagram in the first place. But I’ll break it down for you in the simplest way possible.
As long as you follow the instructions below, you will be done in under 10 minutes tops.
Alright, let’s go!
STEP 1: CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Even before you begin creating accounts to get that Instagram shop, you have to make sure that your business is eligible. Here are the requirements you need to meet:
How to link your store front to your IG account
Are you eligible to sell on Instagram?
- Your business is located in a country eligible for Instagram Shopping. Check the list of eligible countries here.
- Your products are physical. If you’re offering services, then you’ll have to find another platform.
- Your business adheres to Instagram’s merchant agreement and commerce policies.
- You have an ecommerce site.
- You have a business profile on Instagram. If you don’t then you’ll just have to make one. It’s easy to make so you don’t have to worry.
STEP 2: CONNECT INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT TO FACEBOOK BUSINESS PAGE
A Facebook business page is a must if you want to sell items on IG. There’s no other way around it, unfortunately. If you don’t have it, then you better make one.
To set up a Facebook business page, you can follow these three easy steps:
- Open your Facebook account and click the menu icon on the top right.
- Scroll down and click on the ‘Page’ tab.
- You will then be required to input your business name, business type, as well as a short description or introduction of your business.
After that, you can also choose to customize your page by uploading a profile picture and cover photo. You can also try filling up your page’s about section.
STEP 3: UPLOAD YOUR PRODUCT CATALOG
There are two options that you can choose from when you upload your product catalog to your Instagram.
The first option is through a PARTNER PLATFORM.
- Open your Facebook business account’s commerce manager.
- Click the ‘Catalog’ tab and click ‘Data Sources’.
- Select ‘Add Items’ and choose the ‘Partner Platform’ option and hit ‘Next’.
- You can then select your platform of choice (e.g., Shopify) and follow the link to that partner platform’s website.
- Follow the steps given to you on the website and you’re done.
The second option is through FACEBOOK’S COMMERCE MANAGER.
- Go to the commerce manager and click ‘Get started’.
- Click the ‘create a catalog’ option and click the ‘Get started’ button’.
- Select ecommerce and click ‘Next’.
- Choose the ‘upload product info’ option, choose a catalog owner, create a catalog name, and click the ‘Create’ button.
- Go back to the commerce manager and select the ‘Items’ tab under Catalog.
- Click ‘Add Items’ on the top right corner and this will allow you to manually add your item’s information and photos.
- After that you can click ‘Finish’ or ‘Add another item’ to keep going.
STEP 4: SUBMIT YOUR SHOP FOR REVIEW
If you’re done setting all that up, you can now submit your shop for review.
To do that, you have to go to your Instagram’s profile settings and click ‘Business’. After that you click the ‘Set up Instagram Shopping’ found at the very last tab and follow the steps provided for you to submit your account.
Fair warning: This can take a couple days or longer so you will just have to be patient. You can check the status of your shop application by visiting Instagram Shopping in your settings.
STEP 5: CONNECT INSTAGRAM SHOP TO PRODUCT CATALOLG
So after you passed the review and your Instagram Shopping account has been approved, you can now connect your product catalog with your Instagram shop.
Again you have to visit the settings, tap ‘Business’, select the product catalog you want to connect, and you’re done.
Congratulations! Now you have your very own Instagram Shop!
James Hill is a veteran of the music industry. He first worked at Warner Reprise Records then later joined Interscope/ Geffen Records where he managed producers and songwriters and got his first platinum record for Keyshia Cole’s The Way It Is. He is now helping indie artists with branding and manufacturing through his company Unified Manufacturing, a CD/DVD/vinyl and merch company in LA.